Home Cooks > Recipes > Short Rib Grilled Cheese & Ginger Tomato Soup
Yield: Makes 4 servings
2 lb short ribs
2 cups Kikkoman® Teriyaki Takumi, Original
2 cups beef stock
8 slices Japanese milk bread
4 Tablespoons butter, softened
4 slices each: provolone and cheddar
5-inch piece kombu, wiped
2 cups vegetable stock
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ Tablespoons ginger, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (28 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes
¼ cup coconut milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ red onion, sliced
1 red jalapeño or Fresno pepper, thinly sliced
½ cup Kikkoman® Rice Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Kikkoman® Kotteri Mirin
- Soak kombu in vegetable stock overnight.
- Heat coconut oil in a sauce pan. Sweat the onions and garlic for 5-7 minutes. Add coriander and ginger. Stir until fragrant. Add vegetable stock and kombu and bring to a boil. Right before boiling, remove kombu. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil again.
- With a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Stir in coconut milk. Add an extra drizzle for decoration.
- Marinate short ribs in the teriyaki takumi for at least one hour.
- Toss red onion with rice vinegar and mirin and chill to pickle.
- Preheat oven to 250ºF.
- In a Dutch oven, add short ribs, marinade, and beef stock. Braise in oven until tender. Shred while warm. Allow to cool.
- Butter bread on both sides and cook in pan until golden on both sides. Add cheese to one side, then beef and onions. Top with more cheese and another bread slice. Crisp both sides of bread until cheese is melted.
- Serve 2 sliced halves with a bowl of soup garnished with cilantro.