Home Cooks > Recipes > Soba Soup with Spinach and Shrimp Tempura
1 quart water
1 (5-inch) piece kombu, wiped dry
1 cup bonito flakes, packed
1 Tablespoon sake
2 Tablespoons Kikkoman® Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Kikkoman® Kotteri Mirin
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
4 large shrimp
4 slices carrot, cut ¼-inch thick on the bias
4 chunks enoki mushrooms, cut 1-inch thick
1 package (about 7 oz.) soba noodles
2 ½ cups chilled water
1 lb. spinach
1 kamaboko fish cake
Shichimi togarashi (Japanese 7 Spice), to taste
2 cups flour
2 ½ cups water
- Soak kombu in water overnight. Bring to just before a boil then remove kombu from water. Add bonito flakes and simmer 10 minutes. Strain through a paper-towel-lined strainer. Add sake, soy sauce, mirin, and lemon juice. Keep warm.
- Cut belly of shrimp to make straight.
- Make the Tempura Batter: Whisk ice water and flour together, careful not to over-mix. Don't worry about lumps.
- Dip shrimp and vegetables in batter. Fry until crisp.
- Boil spinach and shock in ice water, squeezing water out before slicing. Slice kamaboko fish cake. Slice green onions.
- Boil soba noodles, rinse and add to bowl. Pour warm broth over noodles. Add shichimi togarashi, veggies, shrimp, and scallions. Enjoy!