Home Cooks > Recipes > Sunday Beef Stew
Yield: Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 ½ pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into cubes and dried with a paper towel
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 white onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup red wine
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup tomato sauce
4 tablespoons Kikkoman® Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat and add bacon.
- Cook the bacon until browned and then remove with a slotted spoon and place off to the side on a large plate.
- Working in batches, sear each piece of meat in a single layer for around 3-5 minutes, turning to brown the entire piece. Once browned, place on the large plate with the bacon.
- After all of the meat has been seared and removed from the pan, add the carrots and onions, allowing them to cook for around 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the red wine, chicken broth, tomato sauce, and soy sauce, using the accumulated juices to help scrape up any pieces from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the thyme, meat, and accumulated juices back to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 250°F.
- Once the stew has reached a simmer, place the lid on and put it into the oven. Let the stew cook in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and the sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the stew from the oven and stir in the mushrooms. Serve with your favorite sides! We love to serve this stew over mashed potatoes.
Tip: If you like your stew a little thicker, we suggest working 2 tablespoons of butter into 3 tablespoons of flour and then adding the mixture bit by bit into the stew, stirring to combine.