- Preheat oven to 350°F. and lightly oil a 9-inch square glass baking dish.
- Prepare batter by mixing together all dry ingredients. Mix in oil, rice syrup and vanilla. Slowly stir in soymilk to create a stiff, but spoonable batter.
- Make the filling by mixing ingredients together.
- Spread half the batter over the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon filling over the batter, covering completely. Spoon remaining batter over the filling, covering completely.
- Bake until the filling is bubbling and the topping is firm to the touch, 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Recipe courtesy of Christine Pirello, star of a PBS television show.