FOR THE SAUCE
- Gradually blend soy sauce into peanut butter in small saucepan. Stir in sugar, vinegar, oil, pepper and 1/4 cup water until well blended. Add scallions.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Store in covered plastic container in refrigerator up to 1 week. Stir well before using.
Makes about 1 cup sauce.
FOR THE DISH
- Slice tofu crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces; cut each piece diagonally into 2 triangles. Drain tofu on several layers of paper towels for about 10 minutes.
- Brown tofu on both sides in hot oil over medium-high heat in large non-stick skillet. Remove from heat; pour Sauce evenly over tofu.
- Sprinkle scallions and sesame seed over triangles.
- Toss cooked fettuccine with enough Sauce to lightly coat.
- Or, serve Sauce as a dip for raw vegetables or with grilled pork, chicken or eggplant.
Recipe developed by Deborah Madison, Chef, Cookbook Author, Santa Fe, New Mexico.