- Cut the top and bottom off of the turnip and use a 4 inch ring mold to cut it into a steak. The steak should be about 2.5 inches thick.
- Grind the porcini in a spice grinder to a fine powder
- Toss the turnips with olive oil, porcini powder, salt and pepper
- Place in hotel pan and cover with foil and bake in a 300° F oven for about 60-70 minutes till tender. Let cool.
- Place in a hot 400° F oven to caramelize the outside, just before service
Blanched Baby Vegetables
- Cut carrots in half the long way
- Cut the patty pans squash and baby zucchini in half top to bottom
- Blanch carrots for 4-5 minutes in salted water and shock in ice water
- Blanch the patty pans and zucchini for 2-3 minutes in salted water and shock in ice water
- When vegetables are cooled, remove and place on a rack to dry
- Heat a sauté pan. Add olive oil and carrots. When carrots become lightly caramelized (about 2 minutes) add the patty pans squash and zucchini, season with salt and pepper.
Soy Sauce Demi Glaze
- Shave all of the vegetables and kombu in the Robot Coupe and toss with tomato paste and olive oil
- Place on sheet pans and roast in the oven until golden brown. The key to this sauce is properly roasting the vegetables. It should take about 60 minutes to roast, stirring every 20 minutes. If the vegetables are burned, the sauce is ruined before it starts. Place the vegetables in the kettle.
- Place the sheet pans on the stove, add water and scrape off the caramelized vegetables to add more flavor to the sauce
- Cover vegetables with water and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer
- Add soy sauce and simmer sauce overnight on low
- The next morning, puree the sauce in the blender (don’t use a stick blender because it will not be smooth enough)
- Strain through China Cap (not the fine Chinois because it will remove too much of the pureed vegetables)
Credit Chef David Kuzma, Yale University