- To prepare stock, place water, soy sauce, apple, garlic, ginger, pork and onion in a large heavy-bottomed stockpot (at least 6 quarts) and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced by half, about 2 ½ to 3 hours. You should have at least 9 cups of stock and pork should be fork tender. Remove pork and separate into 4-oz. portions.
- Remove solids from broth with a strainer and discard. Transfer broth to a clean pot and keep warm.
- To prepare mala oil, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer until onions are slightly toasted. Let cool, then strain off and reserve all spices.
- To prepare chili mustard crisps, place 1 cup strained spices from mala oil and fried garlic in a food processor; working in small batches, process until fairly finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in mustard greens, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- To prepare congee, heat 6 cups pork stock in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook for a few minutes more or until noodles are the consistency of porridge, adding additional water if needed. (Be careful not to overcook.)
- Immediately place noodles into 6 bowls and add 4 oz. warmed pork. Ladle additional hot broth over the top and garnish with mala oil, chili mustard crisps, cilantro and scallions.
Recipe created in partnership with Chef Erik Bruner-Yang at Maketto.