For the pickled daikon
- Place sliced or shredded daikon in a small bowl.
- Gently boil water, rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a sauce pan for a few minutes, then pour the mixture over the daikon in the bowl. The pickled daikon can be used right away, or made ahead and stored in the fridge.
For the chili dressing
- Whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, chili paste, maple syrup and garlic in a bowl.
For the tofu bowls
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Cut the pressed tofu into bite-size cubes, about 10-12 pieces.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk soy sauce with chili paste, then add tofu cubes and toss to coat. Set aside for 30 minutes or longer.
- In a non-stick pan on high heat, add 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil. Once oil is hot, add the tofu cubes and turn regularly until golden on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the tofu from the pan, then add the other 2 teaspoons of oil. Fry the sliced mushrooms until brown and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Season the fried mushroom slices with salt and pepper.
- Set the fried mushrooms aside and lower the heat before adding the spinach to the pan. Add a teaspoon of water and stir over low heat for a few minutes until spinach is wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the cooked rice into two, then add the mushrooms, spinach, pickled daikon, edamame, shredded carrot, spring onion and fried tofu. Drizzle with chili dressing and finish with sesame seeds.