- Add all ingredients, except chicken, to a 5-quart pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Completely submerge the chicken in the brine and cover. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Remove the chicken from the pot and discard the brine. Pat the chicken dry and truss legs with kitchen twine.
- In a large roasting pan or Dutch oven, add any desired vegetables and herbs. Place the chicken on top and tuck wings behind the chicken. Cover the chicken and vegetables liberally with butter and desired herbs.
- Roast for 1 hour & 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 170ºF. Allow chicken to cool for 10 minutes before carving and serving.