- To prepare infused oil, place oil and herbs into medium pot. Slowly bring to a boil (a few bubbles only). Once herbs start to change color, remove from heat and whisk in both paprikas.
- To prepare coulis, place all ingredients in a blender. Puree and blend until smooth. Strain through a chinois to remove any grainy pieces.
- To prepare octopus cooking liquid, stir together all ingredients in mixing bowl and whisk until well incorporated.
- To prepare octopus, place octopus tentacles in sous vide bags along with equal parts octopus cooking liquid and infused oil. Sous vide cook for 5 ½ to 6 hours at 174°F or 79°C. When finished cooking, shock in an ice bath.
- To prepare fabada, heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent. Stir in peppers and ginger and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes more or until ginger is fragrant. Stir in garlic, saffron, paprika, caraway and cumin and cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with dashi, soy sauce and mirin.
- Add beans, bean liquid, koji, salt and sachet with bay and thyme leaves. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until beans are tender and the fabada is thick and saucy. Season with salt to taste.
- Char octopus on a grill or teppanyaki until hot. Serve over fabada and garnish with coulis. Octopus may also be served sliced cold in salads.
Recipe created in partnership with Chef Raymond Li at Li’s Dim Sum.