- Combine rinsed rice and cool water in a saucepot. Turn heat to medium high and bring water to a simmer. Turn heat to low, cover, and continue cooking another 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Remove pot from the burner, keep covered and allow rice to cool for 15 minutes.
- Take the rice out of the pot and into a large bowl and gently fluff with a rice spoon to separate the grains. Add vinegar, sugar, and salt, and continue fluffing until well blended.
- Allow rice to cool.
Fried Shallots and Capers
- Slice peeled shallots paper-thin crosswise on a mandolin.
- Drain capers, spread out on paper towels, and pat dry.
- Deep fry shallots, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Remove from the fryer and drain. Shallots will continue to brown a couple of shades when out of oil.
- Fry capers until they start to burst. Remove from the fryer and drain.
- Set both aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Inside an oshibako sushi press, place a sheet of nori, add prepared sushi and press to an even and compact layer approximately ¼ inch. Arrange an even layer of smoked salmon and a scattering of fried shallots and capers. Place in a second sheet of nori, a second layer of rice and a third sheet of nori. Press again until the layers are even and compact.
- Remove press from the oshibako sushi and cut into pieces to approximately the same size as sushi. To order, top with a small dollop of shiso crema, fried shallots, capers and tobiko caviar.
As presented at Flavor Experience 2022 in partnership with Chef Andrew Hunter.