- To prepare Sweet Potato Cream, preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet and pierce well with a fork or knife. Roast for 45 minutes or until caramelized and slightly bubbling. Let cool.
- Bring cream and milk to a boil; pour over sweet potatoes and kombu. Let steep for 30 minutes then remove kombu. Cover and refrigerate sweet potatoes for 24 hours.
- While potatoes are steeping, place all Peanut Orange Miso ingredients in a blender and puree until very smooth. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Strain sweet potatoes from cream mixture, scraping off as much as you can into a saucepan. Peel half of the sweet potatoes and puree with water until smooth; set aside.
- Place cream mixture, glucose, sugar, mirin, salt and stabilizer in a large saucepot and bring up to 180°F. Temper in egg yolks and place pot back over low heat. Bring mixture up to 171°F, stirring occasionally. Stir in sweet potato puree and press through a sieve; let cool and add additional milk to thin as needed.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process until frozen. Stir in Peanut Orange Miso and bonito flakes and transfer to an airtight container; freeze until ready to serve.
Note: All stabilizers are slightly different. If mixture is too thick, thin with additional milk until the base mixture is just slightly thickened.
Recipe created in partnership with Chef Jenner Tomaska at Esmé.