- Blend together sugar and cocoa.
- Whisk together 1 cup soymilk and eggs in large saucepan; stir in cocoa mixture. Add vegetable oil and syrup.
- Cook, stirring constantly with wire whisk, over medium-low heat until mixture starts to thicken and coats the back of metal spoon, about 15 to 20 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 1 cup soymilk and vanilla. Strain mixture into bowl. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.
- Process mixture in ice cream freezer container according to manufacturer’s directions, adding cherries during last 5 minutes of mixing.*
*Note: For firmer texture, transfer ice cream to airtight container and freeze 2 hours. Any leftovers can be stored in the freezer up to two weeks. To serve hard-frozen ice cream, let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes, or until soft enough to scoop.