- For the Pepper Sauce: Whisk together oyster sauce, soy sauce and peppercorns.
- For the Pepper Butter: Soften butter to room temperature, add all ingredients and mix together. Season to taste with salt.
- For the Tri Tip: Rub tri tip with the peanut-sesame oil blend and coat with smashed peppercorns.
- Heat a grill pan until it is near smoking and grill seasoned tri tip for 3 to 4 minutes on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes in total. The meat will be rare and finished on a grill to order at plating.
- Remove from skillet and place on a cooling rack to rest before slicing.
- For the Broccolini, Shiitakes and Onions: Heat a wok over high heat with enough oil to coat the bottom. When oil is smoking, add onions and mushrooms, shaking and stirring until they soften and are lightly charred. Add broccolini and a drizzle of oil, until broccolini is also lightly charred.
- To Serve: Arrange on plate at 12 o’clock. Slice tri tip, grill to desired doneness, and arrange on plate at 6 o’clock.
- Add Pepper Sauce to a small sauté pan and heat with a chunk of Pepper Butter; whisking until butter is just melted and sauce is silky.
- Spoon generous amount of sauce over tri tip and vegetables.
Source: As presented to The Culinary Institute of America and Kikkoman, USA by Chef Andrew Hunter, 2021