- Combine Takumi, water, and dashi powder in a measuring cup and stir until combined. Reserve seasoned dashi water on the side.
- Slice onions lengthwise, about ¼-inch thick.
- Trim extra bits of fat and tissue from the chicken thighs, and slice into 1-inch strips. Transfer chicken to a bowl, mix in sake, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Crack eggs into a separate bowl. Use scissors to cut the egg whites and egg yolks so there are no clumps.
- In a nonstick frying pan or carbon steel pan, add onions and seasoned dashi water.
- Turn the heat up to medium and bring to a gentle simmer, then add chicken on top of onions, let simmer and then bring to a medium-low heat. Cook for 5 minutes, then flip chicken strips.
- Increase heat to medium and add half of the eggs, adding mostly egg whites. Once the eggs are set, add the rest of your eggs on top. After eggs are cooked through, serve on top of a bowl of rice.
- Optional: garnish with parsley, shichimi togarashi, and a soy-pickled egg yolk.
Recipe created in partnership with @hwoo.lee .