- To prepare stock, place water, soy sauce, apple, garlic, ginger, pork and onion in a large heavy-bottomed stockpot (at least 6 quarts) and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced by half, about 2½ to 3 hours. You should have 9 cups of stock and pork should be fork tender. Remove pork and separate into 6-oz. sliced or large shredded portions.
- Remove solids from broth with a strainer and discard. Transfer broth to a clean pot and keep warm.
- To prepare garlic ginger puree, process all ingredients in blender until smooth.
- To prepare pork sauce, stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Warm and char lightly with a butane torch.
- To prepare garlic hoisin mayo, stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- To assemble sandwiches, place 2 tablespoons of pork sauce onto each roll bottom. Top with chives, dill, cucumber and pickles, then top with 6 oz. of warmed pork. Spoon 2 tablespoons garlic hoisin mayo on roll tops and close sandwiches.
Recipe created in partnership with Erik Bruner-Yang of Maketto.