- To prepare plantains, fry in batches in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined tray.
- One at a time, place each plantain piece between parchment paper on a cutting board and smash using the back of a pot.
- Working with 4 to 5 smashed plantain pieces at a time, place back into hot oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Remove and drain again and season heavily with salt.
- To prepare sofrito, heat oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add onion and garlic and sweat for 2 minutes. Add peppers and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes; add oregano and cumin.
- Stir in vinegar, soy sauce and honey and bring to a rapid simmer. Remove from heat and season with salt. Let cool.
- Serve with crispy plantains.
Recipe created in partnership with Chef Angelo Sosa at Tia Carmen.