- Place all glaze ingredients in blender except for sunflower oil and blend on high. Drizzle in the sunflower oil until the mixture becomes emulsified.
- To prepare mushrooms, heat a large sauté pan or griddle to high. Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and heat until it ripples; lay the whole maitake clusters in pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- With a spatula flip the mushrooms over. Sprinkle with garlic, pepper and salt and reduce heat slightly; continue to sear without moving the mushroom for about 4 to 5 minutes
- Flip the mushroom again. Once the mushroom has started to shrink and turn golden brown, pour about 1/4 cup of the glaze evenly over the top. Let the glaze caramelize on the mushroom for about 1 minutes then flip it one more time; cook for 1 minute more to caramelize on the other side, being careful to not let the glaze burn. Remove the mushroom early if necessary.
- Serve immediately garnished with fried panko breadcrumbs and chopped parsley. Serve with colorful seasonal vegetable puree (such as roasted carrot puree) and a drizzle of the Tamari glaze.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Richard Landau of Vedge Restaurant Group.